Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday's Shopping

TUESDAY'S SHOPPING
 It was very depressing browsing the meat department this morning. Prices are getting higher and higher every week. Pork shoulder roasts were up to $2.49 pound which is almost a dollar more per pound than they used to be when not on sale. Actually, ground beef prices have come down a bit from around $4.00+ pound to $2.99 but they didn't have any mark-downs today. I won't pay full price for hamburger unless I'm desperate. With a freezer full of marked-down meat, that won't happen for a while yet. I almost bought a package of pork trimmings for 89-cents per pound but decided that I didn't need them.

I bought some poblano chiles, which weren't on my shopping list, because they looked so nice and shiny and the price was pretty good at 99-cents per pound. I bought three of them thinking that I'd stuff them. I wasn't sure yet what I'd stuff them with or how I'd top them but I figured I'd come up with something. I had some already browned ground beef that I'd just thawed so I ended up adding some taco seasoning, shredded cheese and salsa to it. I'm going to stuff that inside the roasted and peeled chiles and top them with some of my Quick Nacho Cheese Dip. I did buy a marked down can of red enchilada sauce today for 75-cents but I dumped it out after tasting it. It tasted very bitter and it was extremely watery. It would have ruined the stuffed poblanos. I'm so glad I tasted it before using it.

I've got some chicken thighs roasting in the oven right now and when those come out I'll put the stuffed poblanos in. I'm going to remove the chicken from the bones and dice it for the Mushroom, Chicken & Sausage Casserole I'm making tomorrow. I roasted the chiles in the toaster oven while the chicken was roasting. They're cooling in the foil that I roasted them on to help loosen the skins. They should be cool enough to handle once the chicken comes out of the oven. I'll have myself a tasty snack of the crispy chicken skin since I don't need the skin for the casserole. I didn't mention this in the chicken casserole recipe on my website but lately when I make it, I add the drippings from roasting the chicken to it. They give it a wonderful flavor and lots of yummy chicken fat.


The chicken is out of the oven so I'd better head back to the kitchen now...

No comments :

Post a Comment