Saturday, March 8, 2014

Menu Change: Carrot Cake instead of Jello Poke Cake

The more I thought about it the more I realized that it would be foolish of me to spend so much money on almond flour to make the Jello Poke Cake next week. But, I've come up with an alternative that will only require buying a carrot or two. I have all of the other necessary ingredients on hand and I've been wanting to try the Chicken Lady's Carrot Cake recipe for a while. I also found two other similar recipes online which gave me some ideas for additions and substitutions.

There is THIS one at Lauren's "Healthy Indulgences" and THIS one on Vanessa Romero's "Healthy Living How To" blog.

Vanessa's is her adaptation of the Chicken Lady's recipe. She used fresh carrots, instead of frozen ones, so I know that will work. She also uses home-ground almond flour so I think that my plan to use half unblanched Trader Joe's almond flour with half home-ground coconut flour should probably work. I have enough almond flour for the recipe but I'd like to save some of it for making muffins for my husband. I have a huge bag of fine unsweetened coconut that I found at Big Lots so I thought I'd cut the almond flour with some coconut flour.

I don't have any pecans so I'll just leave those out. I will add a little blackstrap molasses like Lauren used in her recipe. Lauren also added 1/8 teaspoon of xanthan gum so I'll try that. She doesn't say what that does for the recipe but I figure it can't hurt and might help keep it moist.

I won't be using any sugar alcohols so the texture of my cake will probably be a bit more spongy than any of those recipes. All three of them used at last part sugar alcohols in their cakes but I don't use them.

I'll be making half of the Chicken Lady's recipe for a cake that's half the size of a 9x13" pan. I've got a pan that's exactly that size or 8.5 x 6.5 inches.

I was going to try my Clouds recipe for the frosting on the Jello Poke Cake so I'll just use the same recipe for the carrot cake. I will go ahead and make a whole batch so that I don't end up with half a package of cream cheese sitting around in the fridge. I figure if there's too much to ice the cake with, I can make a few Clouds with the rest.

Here is an estimated nutritional count for my version divided into six servings:

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 649 Calories; 61g Fat; 11g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 5.5g Dietary Fiber; 12.5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 625 Calories; 61g Fat; 11g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 5.5g Dietary Fiber; 6.5g Net Carbs

It's only an estimate because I'm not sure yet how much the almond flour and coconut flour will weigh and I'm not sure yet how much frosting I'll put on the cake.


CREAM CHEESE CLOUDS


2 comments :

  1. I've made the Chicken Lady's Carrot Cake (with freshly grated carrots) many times, and it's always a bit hit! Nobody would ever guess it's not a regular flour/sugar combo. I'm not a fan of all Splenda, so I always use Sweetzfree plus about 1/4 cup of Erythritol and it tastes just right. I wonder about the coconut flour addition you plan. I hope it won't suck up all your liquid. I'm interested to hear how your substitutions work out! I'll bet it's super-yummy. And BTW, I always half the recipe and make it in my 8X8 pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be using commercial coconut flour so that won't be an issue. When you make your own "flour" from ground coconut, it's very moist. I don't use sugar alcohols so Splenda is my only option. I will cut the carbs by using liquid Splenda (Sweetzfree).

      Delete