Thursday, March 26, 2020

Enchilada Bake Variation


ENCHILADA BAKE - VARIATION
Crust:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon Taco Seasoning
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 ounce tortilla chips, finely crushed *

Beat or whisk the cream cheese and eggs until smooth. Add the seasoning; mix well. Stir in the cheese and crushed chips; mix well. Grease a 9x13" baking dish or line with parchment paper; spread the cheese mixture evenly over the bottom. Bake at 350ยบ, 35 minutes or until browned, but not too dark. Let stand 5-10 minutes before adding the topping.

* 1/4 ounce is about 4-5 small round tortilla chips. I used the unflavored white corn kind. They only add about 4 carbs to the whole recipe. You can omit them and it won't affect the outcome very much. I think they give this a nice flavor for almost no extra carbs per serving.

Topping:
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning
1/2 batch Red Enchilada Sauce (about 1 cup)
8 ounces pepper-jack cheese, shredded

Brown the hamburger; drain fat. Stir in the seasoning and enchilada sauce. Spread over the crust. Top with the cheese. Bake another 20 minutes or so until hot and bubbly.

Makes 8 servings

Per Serving: 414 Calories; 32g Fat; 27g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs 

This recipe was originally posted HERE at Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes. This is one of my favorites and I just made some a few days ago. I like that it makes so many servings. I top mine with a little salsa as well as a little Herdez green guacamole salsa. Sour cream is also nice but I don't have any on hand.

I thought it would be a good idea to post recipes that call for simple ingredients that are likely to be available in the stores during this time. However, it's difficult to predict what will be available around the country. Relatives in San Antonio told us that there is almost no meat to be found in the stores there. Here in Houston there seems to be a good supply of meat and other goods. No toilet paper though, of course. 


Because my husband is in his 70's, and he has been on anti-rejection meds for the past ten years since his liver transplant, I did a huge shopping yesterday to buy enough food and supplies so that we won't have to leave the house again at least through the end of May. I filled the trunk of the car twice by going to four different stores. Thankfully I was able to buy lots of eggs, ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, cheese, a big bag of frozen tilapia, sausage and I even bought a small pot roast. As long as our stash of TP holds out, I shouldn't have to go out to the store again for at least two months!



4 comments :

  1. This is also one of my favorites, Linda. It's a very forgiving recipe -- I've used various meats and even bits and pieces of a mixture of meats (chicken, beef, pulled pork, pork chop I ground up, etc.) -- just so long as they are a pound when combined. Also, cheeses used are fiesta/Mexican blend, Colby Jack, etc. You really can mix and match with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished eating a slice of this superb casserole. I didn't have the ingredients to make the enchilada sauce, so I pureed at can of diced tomatoes and green chilies. I simmered it with the hamburger to thicken it. I also used a mixture of Mexican blend and Colby jack cheese. Even with the substitutions, this was definitely a five star recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Donna. I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete