Saturday, November 30, 2019

Stuffing Bake



STUFFING BAKE
16 ounces ground turkey
1 pound pork sausage
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
4 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet, brown the ground turkey along with the sausage, onion and celery; drain the grease if desired (I leave it in). Place in a greased 10-inch pie plate. Do not use a smaller pie plate or it will overflow. If you don't have that size, use an 8x8" or 11x7" baking dish. Mix in the cheese. In a 4-cup measure, beat the eggs, cream and seasonings. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the meat mixture and gently mix it in. Bake at 350ยบ 35-40 minutes until set in the center and nicely browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 6-8 servings

Per 1/6 Recipe: 651 Calories; 54g Fat; 40g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3 Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 488 Calories; 40g Fat; 30g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs


I combined a couple of my recipes to come up with this one. I really like my Sausage-Mushroom "Dressing" but I wanted the same flavors to be in the form of a quiche for easier serving. I also wanted to use ground turkey instead of diced cooked chicken or turkey like in my Chicken and Stuffing Quiche. I have reduced the amount of ground turkey called for from 20 ounces to 16 ounces because it's cheaper to buy it in 1-pound rolls at only $1.25 each. I've also omitted the mushrooms to save money. I always bake this in an 11x7" deep baking dish now and cut it into squares so I've changed the name from "Stuffing Pie" to "Stuffing Bake". This is so tasty and filling that I make it about once a month.


I did some quick figuring to get an estimate of how much it costs to make this dish. I came up with about $6.00 for everything which works out to about 80-cents per serving based on eight servings per batch. I sometimes get more servings than that if I'm the only one eating it that week so it's quite economical. 

The original version of this recipe is posted HERE at Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes. The photo above shows the original version which was made in a pie plate.


No comments :

Post a Comment