Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tuesday's Shopping

TUESDAY SHOPPING

I'm getting a little peeved with Walmart because they haven't been restocking the Clear Passage nasal strips that I use. They only have Breathe Right strips, which are too expensive, and their own store brand. I've tried Walmart's strips and don't like them because they don't stay on well. So, today I thought I'd check to see what HEB has in nasal strips and they have their own brand of them that are 59-cents cheaper than Walmart's. They even look like they might be just like the Clear Passage strips. The wrappers look identical to Clear Passage's.

I tried a sauce recipe the other day that my friend Jeanie recommended. It's called "Comeback Sauce" and it's apparently a staple in many southern restaurants. I haven't tried putting it on anything yet but I think it has possibilities and it's low carb if you use low carb ketchup in it. The original recipe does call for ketchup AND chili sauce but I used all ketchup instead since I don't have any sugar free chili sauce. I don't even think there is such a thing. One thing that I'm not all that crazy about is the lemon flavor in the sauce. I think I'll use vinegar next time for a more neutral flavor. I love the flavor of lemon in desserts but not so much in savory foods.

I did a Google search for "Comeback Sauce" and got quite a few hits. It turns out that the sauce they serve at Outback Steakhouse with the Bloomin' Onion is this sauce or a variation of it. Most of the recipes I found are similar to the one that Jeanie sent me but a few have fresh onion and garlic, etc. instead of dried. Some of them also call for yellow mustard instead of Dijon.

I haven't posted this on my main site so I thought I'd go ahead and post it here. If you're familiar with this sauce, please post something in the comments. I'd love to hear what you think of it and what you use it on. The recipe below is a half batch of the recipe that Jeanie sent me.

COMEBACK SAUCE
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar free ketchup
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoon oil
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Whisk everything together and chill overnight before serving.

Makes 1 cup

Per Tablespoon: 67 Calories; 7g Fat; trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Fiber; 1g Net Carb
Per 2 Tablespoons: 134 Calories; 14g Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Fiber; 2g Net Carbs


Here are a few sites that feature this sauce:


I also posted a review of LC Foods White Sandwich bread on my main website HERE.




No comments :

Post a Comment