Friday, January 3, 2014

Favorite Recipe: Eggplant Lasagna

EGGPLANT LASAGNA
I'm happy to report that Food Town FINALLY had eggplants 2/$1.00 this week! I made a few more tweaks to the Eggplant Lasagna recipe and I think it turned out extra good this time because it wasn't so watery. I've posted the following tweaks on the recipe page on my main site:
 
I've changed my mind about peeling the eggplant. I think that the peel gives it more flavor. But, I did trim the peel from the two slices that would have peel covering one whole side. I cut that bit off before slicing the eggplant. Also, besides cutting back to one cup of marinara sauce, I made Amy's Marinara Sauce without adding any water to it this time. That helped to keep the dish from getting too watery. I'm not sure how much this helped, but I also spread all of the sauce on the top layer.
 
One more trick that worked great was using a paper towel to oil the eggplant before broiling it. I used to use a basting brush but it was a pain in the neck to clean the brush afterward. This time I simply poured some oil into a small bowl, dipped a folded paper towel into it and rubbed it over both sides of the eggplant slices. A bonus was that oil didn't end up splattered around the kitchen by the basting brush.

No comments :

Post a Comment