Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Recipe Review - Low Carb Egg Noodles



I tried a fun new recipe today that I just ran across this morning on Jimmy Moore's forum. It's from the Up Late Anyway Low Carb Recipes blog. HERE is the link to the recipe. I'd never seen anything like them before and I just happened to have an open bag of shredded mozzarella in the fridge and some left over egg yolks from something I made the other day that only called for the whites. I had nothing to lose by trying them. I was skeptical but they turned out quite well and were very easy to make.


UPDATE: The site where I found this recipe is no longer online.

I followed the recipe exactly as posted and let mine air-dry four hours on the counter. I saved the parchment paper to use again for making cheese crisps or something. It would have been a shame to throw away two big pieces that only had a little cooking spray on them. It was a little tricky getting the thickness right because I couldn't see how thick the dough was through the parchment. I think I got them about right though.

Since I was just trying them out, I didn't actually do anything with them other than taste them. They were nice to snack on and I think they'd be good with some sort of sauce on them or added to soup. I'd add them at the last minute right before serving though. I'm not sure how well they'd hold up sitting in a pot of soup over time. They have an egg noodle/dumpling sort of consistency which made me think of putting them in soup. I tried reheating one on a plate in the microwave but it started to bubble so I stopped it. I think they might turn into cheese crisps in the microwave unless you were to heat them in a sauce on a low power setting perhaps.

I just got an idea that I might try if I think of it later. I might make a batch and add them to my Tuna Casserole recipe. If they fall apart or melt during baking it won't matter. The trick will be remembering to make the noodles at least four hours before I want to make the casserole.

There is one drawback to this recipe. The recipe only makes one serving yet they contain FOUR ounces of cheese! That's an awful lot of cheese for one serving, especially if you want to use them with some sort of cheesy sauce, like Alfredo. That's why I think they'd be better in a pot of soup or a casserole with one batch serving about four people.

 

9 comments :

  1. Thanks for such a detailed review, Linda. I think I'll give these a try when I have some extra time and Mozzarella.
    -Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make them and use them as a base for low carb beef or chicken stroganoff. Then I think I'll make a batch and cut them in short pieces to make a side pasta salad. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pasta salad is a great idea. I would go ahead and cut them into smaller pieces BEFORE cooking them but AFTER letting them dry. I'm thinking that when I use them in my Tuna Casserole, I will make them a little wider and shorter so that they're more like regular wide egg noodles.

      Delete
  3. If you want to get a consistent thickness put a couple of equal depth magazines or wooden rulers, etc. either side of the parchment as guides and make sure your roller is running on those either side. Then the 'pasta' will be the same thickness as your guides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip. I doubt that I will make these again though. They're too much trouble and I don't really need noodles.

      Delete
  4. Please post the recipe. The website is no longer available and I really want to make these!!! Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the basic recipe:

      Melt 4 ounces of shredded mozzarella in the microwave on a low power level. Cool it slightly then stir in 1 egg yolk until it is completely blended into the cheese. Microwave just long enough to warm the "dough" and make it pliable then roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper. Cut the dough into strips and dry the strips on a rack for about 4 hours. When you're ready to cook the noodles, add them to boiling water and cook for just 1 minute. Drain the noodles and rinse with cold water to keep them from sticking together. Use at once.

      Delete
  5. Does it taste eggy or cheesy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only made them that one time and it was a long time ago. I seem to recall that they tasted mainly of mozzarella cheese.

      Delete