Thursday, March 13, 2014

Shopping List - Week of March 9 - March 15

Once again I managed to stay under $60.00 for the week. I've gotten very good at estimating how much I'm going to spend when I shop even when I don't stick to my shopping list exactly. I keep a running list of how much the things that I buy cost and I update that list as prices change. Of course I don't know until I get to the store what the prices will be that day. When I shopped today, as I often do, I ended up not getting a couple of things that were on my list but I also bought a few things that I hadn't planned on buying. Plus a few things weren't the prices that I'd estimated. I bought a big package of ham pieces which was a little over $4.00 and that wasn't planned. I also spent a dollar on a bottle of soda which wasn't on my list and also a pair of kid's scissors to use for my beading and those were a dollar. Then, I found a box of Atkins bars in the clearance bin at Kroger and those were another $2.49 that I hadn't planned for.

To make up for the extra expenses, I bought cheaper lettuce and tomatoes than I would have liked. Instead of expensive grape tomatoes, I got a few Roma tomatoes for a fraction of the price. I also bought iceberg lettuce rather than romaine. The iceberg looked better and it was about half the price of romaine which looked very brown. The furniture polish I got was a dollar less than I'd figured and the toothpaste was about 30-cents cheaper than I thought. The only thing that I decided not to buy was a 4-ounce can of mushrooms which only saved me 63-cents. I didn't factor in my 10% Kroger discount either so I saved a bit more with that.

So, to make a short story long, I'd estimated that I would spend about $31.87 today at Walmart and Kroger and I ended up spending $31.70. How's that for close???

Here's the break-down for the week:

FOOD TOWN (Tuesday):

  • 8 rolls Fiora paper towels - $2.99
  • 12 rolls Fiora toilet paper @ 2.99 (minus 55-cent coupon) - $2.44
  • 1 pound carrots - .50
  • 10 ounce Kikkoman soy sauce @ .88 (minus 55-cent coupon) - .33
  • 4 bottles VO5 shampoo and conditioner @ .77 each (minus $1.00 coupon) - $2.08
TOTAL - $8.88

HEB (Tuesday):

  • 3 boxes facial tissue - $3.57
  • 2 bags pork rinds @ 1.49 each - $2.98
  • Quart heavy cream - $3.56
  • 2 boxes Atkins bars (on clearance) - $7.00
TOTAL - $17.40

WALMART (Thursday):

  • Aquafresh toothpaste - $1.67
  • Decaf coffee - $2.78
  • Furniture polish - $1.97
  • 4 ounce chiles - .58
  • Pork sausage - $2.98
  • Iceberg lettuce - $1.14
  • Roma tomatoes - .61
  • Scissors - .97
  • Ham pieces - $4.19
  • 2 liter Diet Dr. Pepper - $1.00
TOTAL - $18.22

KROGER (Thursday):

  • 4 CARBmaster yogurt @ .40 each (minus 10% discount) - $1.44
  • 16 ounce cottage cheese @ 1.25 (minus 10% discount) - $1.12
  • Dozen eggs @ 1.50 (minus 10% discount) - $1.35
  • 3 8-ounce bags shredded cheese @ 2.00 each (minus 10% discount) - $5.40
  • Diet lemon ice tea mix @ 1.87 (minus 10% discount) - $1.68
  • Atkins bars (clearance) - $2.49
TOTAL - $13.48

GRAND TOTAL FOR THE WEEK - $57.98


2 comments :

  1. Way to go, Linda!!

    -Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made my Quick Asian Pork Stir-Fry today and offered to make rice for Jerry, since there's a little bit of rice left in the pantry. He said that he'd rather put it in lettuce wraps which is the main reason for buying the lettuce yesterday. I washed and set aside all the nice big leaves and the rest will be used for salads.

    ReplyDelete