Thursday, July 18, 2013

Favorite Recipe: Mushroom Chicken and Sausage Casserole

I've only got one more serving left of Dottie's Burger Scramble Florentine for tomorrow. I checked my menu and was surprised to see that I made that last Friday. So, it fed me every day for a week since I'm the only one here who had any of it. That's the beauty of making casseroles; cook once and eat for several days.

MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
 Today I'll be making another one of my all-time favorite casseroles: Mushroom Chicken and Sausage Casserole. I've made it countless times over the years. The whole family will be sharing it so I don't think it will last more than about three or four days. I've only got a 12-ounce package of frozen cauliflower, and the recipe calls for 16 ounces, so I bought two containers of fresh mushrooms to put in it to add more bulk. They were so cheap at Aldi that it would have been silly to pass them up and you can't have too many mushrooms. That's the only tweak I'll be making to the recipe this time but I should mention that this is also very good with some broccoli added. Has anyone else tried this recipe? I think that I will post here on my blog whenever I make any tried-and-true recipes so that everyone can comment on them, ask questions or tell about any tweaks you've made that you'd like to share.

9 comments :

  1. Not yet, we made Dottie's Sausage, Mushroom and Cream Cheese Chicken Casserole last night and just had it for lunch today, but your Mushroom Chicken and Sausage Casserole is definitely on the menu plan for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have made this many, many times. In fact, this casserole is what got my grown kids into low carb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have also prepared this casserole several times as well. It is delicious. I generally stick to your recipe, I don't do well if I try to deviate from the original.

    The Burger Scramble Florentine is also a big favorite of mine.

    Sometimes, especially during colder months, when I do more baking, there will be 15-20 plastic freezer containers waiting to be eaten in my freezer, filled with 5-6 different recipes of yours.

    Today I finished off the last Chicken Cordon Blue, another favorite. The chicken is especially good in that dish and I think it is due to the fact that the chicken is not pre-cooked.

    When I see people loading their carts at the grocery store with ready-to-eat, frozen, prepared, chemically laden and carb heavy crap, filled with artificial colors and flavors, I want to shout!

    Go home and cook!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing. I put it on my menu for this week. I know my hubby doesn't like cauliflower but I bet he won't even know its in there with the rest of the favors going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you break up the cauliflower small enough, he'll never know it's there. It mainly adds bulk to the dish as well as the nutrients from veggies. You don't really taste it. I cook my cauliflower until it's very soft; soft enough to break up easily with a spoon.

      Delete
  5. hi there. I've recently found your website. I've been trying to do low-carb for the past 9 months or so. My main issue was just getting bored but since I found your site and recipes, I'm a lot more excited! One question - I like to use stevia instead of splenda. Have you baked with stevia? I'd like to try some of the snack recipes and wonder if I need to just use the same measurement or cut back since stevia is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much experience with stevia but I don't see why you couldn't use it in your baking instead of Splenda. Many people do. There should be a conversion chart on the stevia package. The amount of Splenda that is called for in my recipes is the same amount you would use of real sugar.

      Delete
  6. I tried this some time ago, it was great!

    And while I'm here I'd like to mention that you recipes are the single best source of low carb recipes on the web. Keto would be way less fun without it, so thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete